right time wrong turn


Installation Images by Alicia Kwade


“I like to be the right thing in the wrong place and the wrong thing in the right place. Being the right thing in the wrong place and the wrong thing in the right place is worth it because something interesting always happens.” 

This quote from Andy Warhol echoes the theme of recent days for me. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I have a habit of being at the wrong place at the right time. Timing, in general, has always been a point of interest and concern for me --I’m chronically tardy, I never wear a watch, and I have an unrealistic perception of time. And luck! My (mis) fortunes should be tracked and studied by the Lady Luck herself  due to the sheer volume of people and opportunities storming in and out of my life in the most peculiar ways. Luck and timing always go hand in hand. And although many people are afraid to acknowledge the huge dependency their lives have on luck --thinking they have this great control -- the truth is that we don’t have as much control as we want to believe. After many years of experiencing head-spinning chance encounters, I’ve realized that there’s no sense trying to control them. So when the clock strikes trouble I’m usually nearby. As much heart- and head-ache as I experience, being where you perhaps shouldn’t (or didn’t want to) be can also be life changing and force you into unanticipated situations where, as Warhol put it, interesting things always happen.

Has a wrong turn ever turned out right for you? 
x