frances bean


Its not often you remember the first time you heard a band or a song, but I clearly remember the first time I heard Nirvana. I was 7 or 8. It was summer. I was in my aunt's basement, feeling bored and mischevious.

I  listlessly starting flicking through her CD collection  when I saw the azure-blue cover with a naked baby swimming towards a bill. I remember staring at it for so long trying to figure out WTF was happenig and why anyone would want to take a picture of a naked baby floating towards money.
As strange as the picture made me feel, I remember slipping the CD into the player and pressing play.

I didn't understand any of the song titles and I thought the music was just plain weird and loud. 
I eventually grew to love grunge music and even spent a few years with a rumpled plaid shirt tied around my waist, brooding over the loss of Kurt Cobain and in a weird state of awe/hate over Courtney Love.

But say what you will about the king and queen of grungeville-they sure do make cool-looking offspring, as you can see by these images of their daughter, Frances Bean, shot by Hedi Slimane. 
x